Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Njucka

Deborah and Njucka are new clients. We'll have our first hour together in the near future. During that hour I will evaluate the situation, provide lifestyle tips, and start creating a plan to deal with multiple issues. Revisit the blog often for progress reports. Dee
--------------
Biggest problem: I can't leave Njucka (sounds like "nooka") in the house without his marking, or even sometimes pooping. My carpet is ruined. I had a doggie gate and kept him in the kitchen while I was at work; until he learned to climb *over* it. I think he can go over and under. Right now, I'm keeping him in the downstairs bathroom, but he is scratching the door. My boyfriend always invites Njucka when I go to visit him, but we can't leave him alone in the house. I'm not sure if I need to crate train him, or if that is even OK given that he is nearly 7 years old. He is a retired show dog, a miniature poodle.

He barks at strangers. This is OK, except that I usually can't get him to stop. If someone comes to my door, especially, he will not stop barking at them.

Anyway...those are just examples. I read lots of books about dogs and training, and I tried to establish myself as the "leader," but I don't think I've done a very good job. Also, I'm sure he is bored at home all day.

No comments: