Sunday, September 28, 2008

Splash Finds Her Forever Home

Note: Gayle fosters Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. This is the story of one of them.

To everyone who met Splash: I wanted to let everyone know that my foster girl Splash has been adopted. Chelsea and I had the pleasure of her company for 4-1/2 months. Splash is one of the most loving chessies I have ever met.

For those who may have forgotten, we got Splash into Chessie Rescue because she had seizures. The family that adopted her has two little girls ages 5 and 8 and are from Virginia Beach. They put in an application in August and I contacted them to discuss Splash. I thought this was going to be another family wanting to help a special-needs dog but had not thought of all that involves. To my surprise the family was very familiar with dogs that have seizures. Both the husband's and wife's parents have dogs with seizure disorders. Both children have seen the dogs have seizures and just want the dogs to feel better. The are not afraid of the seizures at all.

The husband had been looking on the internet for a dog and had looked at over 100 dogs until he saw Splash. He called his wife in and said "I have found our dog". They had been thinking about getting a dog for two years. My first phone conversation and the home visit that was done was very extensive and we decided that this sounded like the right home for Splash. The whole family drove from Virginia Beach to meet Splash. They stayed for almost two hours, getting to know her and letting her get to know them. Splash fell in love with the girls and only started coming back to my side towards the end of the visit. When they started loading up her things to leave Splash was right with them and jumped into their vehicle without a backward glance to old mom :). She has done well so far with her new family and they love her so much already. They even have the next door neighbor coming over at lunch time to let her out to go potty and run around for about 15-20 minutes. They are going to keep me updated and will also send pictures. I so love the happy endings with these wonderful dogs that have come into my life through rescue. Gayle


Chelsea (left) and Splash

No comments: