Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sago Palm Can Kill

Home improvement stores are selling a houseplant that is poisonous to pets and children. The Sago Palm or Cycad is used in outdoor landscaping in the southern U.S. and as a houseplant in colder climates. The entire Sago Palm is toxic, including the seeds and root ball. Signs of illness include vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. The toxins in the plant can cause liver failure. It is estimated that 75-80% of animals ingesting this plant will die in spite of aggressive medical treatment. Please teach your dogs not to eat plants. Many green growing things are toxic.

No comments:

Keep your dog safe as the weather gets warmer

As the weather warms, get out there with your dog and enjoy yourself. Here are a few reminders to help keep your four-legged friend safe...