Friday, September 26, 2014

Is your dog prone to ear infections?

Of the four Labs in my house, Murphy is the only one who has, over the years, had recurring ear infections. So ...

Last spring it was obvious it was happening again. He was scratching his ears and shaking his head a lot, in obvious discomfort. When I took a peek inside, his ears were more red than pink and he had a good amount of waxy buildup. A quick sniff confirmed his yeasty ears were back.

Murphy runs like the wind from ear washes and ear drops. The whole process has always stressed him out. Between that and having grown weary of the amount of money I spend on vet visits, I went looking for an alternative treatment. I've learned to appreciate essential oils, so that's where I started. And here's what I found.

Purification from Young Living. I combine four or five drops of Purification with olive oil in a small glass jar. Here's more on the many uses of Purification. Murphy was kind enough to allow me to demonstrate:


That first time, I cleaned Murphy's ears several days in a row to make certain I got them good and clean. Now, I clean his ears as needed. In six months, he has not needed a vet visit, ear wash or ear drops. Woohoo!

No comments: