Saturday, April 19, 2008

Camden Loves to Bark

Dena & Camden's story, in Dena's own words:

I am having such a hard time with my 9 year old golden retriever lately. She is waking me up in the middle of the night to eat or play. I think she is jealous of my new guy because she only does it when he is staying over. At this point, I feel that Camden has me well trained and I would like to reverse that situation. I really need to get a good night of sleep. I saw a bumper sticker that sums up my ambitions for Camden - More Wag, Less Bark!

From the trainer: I scheduled an hour in-home consultation with Dena and Camden. I found Camden to be a delightful and very vocal dog. A short time after introductions, Camden started barking. Incessantly. Armed with high value treats, we started behavior modification then and there. The goal is to replace unwanted behavior with desired behavior. In this case, replace barking with quiet.

24 hours later
:
Hi Dee. You really do speak dog. I already notice a difference in my Cammie girl. Thanks. I will do my homework and decide if we need to schedule a follow-up visit.

From the trainer: So far a follow-up visit has not been necessary. Camden responded beautifully to behavior modification.

No comments: